LOG CELL (Cell-2) (m/f)
The LOG function is a specific and well-known force of MSF. Beyond the fulfillment of basic logistical needs, the LOG function is a solution-driven and innovative force that helps to build and realize operational objectives;
The LogCell plays a front role in developing operational tactics: Our capacity to unfold and maintain our activities in the field, even under the most critical conditions;
In other words, the LogCell collaborates closely in the definition of the how of operations' strategy in order to be able to anticipate and define the appropriate tactics / solutions;
To feed the Operational Cell dynamics, she/he brings an analysis complementary to that of other cells' members.
On operational topics and problems addressed in the scope of the HQ functioning and organisation
- The LogCell ensures the implementation of actions via her/his understanding of operational strategies and objectives
- She/he is appointed to a cell in order to elaborate and monitor the deployment of operational tactics
- She/he supervises and supports the LOG Coordinators and is accountable for them
- She/he is the representative of operations for her/his Cell within the LOG department
- She/he is the interface between the LOGs under her/his supervision; the cell and the LOG Back-Office and LOG Resources Unit
- She/he acts as representative of the field at HQ and as HQ representative at field level. A good & dynamic balance is needed for optimal support to field and enriching the HQ with field realities
Specifics to the Cell-2 Operations
Currently the portfolio includes: Italy, Serbia, Greece Search & Rescue in med, Egypt, Algeria & Mauritania
Cell-2 is in charge of operations related to the “Migrant Crisis” in the Mediterranean:
- These operations can be extremely volatile in needs and often require an important LOG input
- These operations require innovative approaches and solutions to be identified at short notice
- They require close collaboration with the CO and MedCell in order to anticipate and communicate as early as possible on the upcoming trends
- They require that the LogCell have an effective “Project Manager” approach and a strong delegation capacity in order to free himself from energy consuming tactical developments
Specifics to the LogCell-2 position
- The position of LogCell-2 is part of a decentralized team of OCB
- Being the only LOG based in Rome, the LogCell-2 must be capable of working autonomously and have clear communication skills towards the LOG-Department
- It is expected that the LogCell-2 play an active role in the LOG-Department developments as well as taking care of operations at cell level
- As is already the case for the CO-2 and the MedCell-2, it is necessary for the LogCell-2 to be present in Brussels around 20 to 30% of his working time
- This implies that he shall be more mobile than the other LogCells as he will be very often spending time in Brussels as well as in the field
- Management lines :
- She/he is the Mission LOG Coordinators Functional manager;
- She/he is under the line management of The Cell Coordinator of Operations and under the functional management of the LOG Front Office Coordinator.
Defines / Workouts the methods and means to deploy and run our operations
- Co-defines with the medical teams the necessary quality of environment for the beneficiaries;
- Co-defines with the medical teams the necessary quality of services needed for the medical teams’ activities.
- Works out the LOG set-up and management required to realize operations objectives;
- Works out the expected results within a well-defined timeframe;
- Works out the effective use of all necessary LOG-related means; mobilizes and maintains their operational capacity;
- Estimates and manages the budget of the LOG activities planned and monitors the results.
Defines and capitalizes on the use of specific products for operations
- Defines & validates the necessary products for our operations;
- Defines & validates the support line and resources for those products;
- Defines, validates & works out the methods and means of monitoring, evaluating and readjusting these products;
- Defines, validates and works out the methods and means of collecting lessons learnt in order to readjust and update standards.
Ensure smooth running of MSF facilities
- Works out the necessary products and facilities - including health structures, bases, offices, stocks, and the packages of equipment necessary for their good functioning;
- Defines an effective and efficient way of using, maintaining and of disposing of them;
- Validates the resources necessary to that effect;
- Works out the methods and means of monitoring, evaluating and readjusting these products/facilities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the LOG function in humanitarian interventions of OCB;
- Minimum 5 years MSF experience;
- Minimum 2 years as LOG Coordinator for MSF;
- Experience as Field Co or HoM is an asset;
- Good oral and written communication in English and French is necessary.
The ideal candidate is/has
Solution Oriented and positive catalyst / Technical culture / Person oriented / Agile, adaptive, responsive / Capable of unfolding operations in a difficult, volatile and chaotic environment / available to move to the missions and projects whenever necessary
- Open-ended contract, full-time, based in Rome with visits to Brussels
- Starting date : immediate
Deadline for applications is 18/01/2017 - CV and motivation letter to send to Recruit-HQ-Operations@brussels.msf.org with the following reference: “LogCell-2 application”